Sunday 17 May 2020

May 2020

In the champagne light of early afternoon
Surrounded by the eastern patterns of my dreaming
I trawl through personalities
Try them on for size
Shed skin after skin after skin
Hoping that if I can just relinquish enough layers
The most arresting breathtaking stunning sumptuous me will be revealed
Where is she/he/they?
IN there somewhere
Or OUT there somewhere
Maybe a new outfit
A different hair colour
More mascara
Fewer embellishments
Can I strip my shell down to a flimsy
Transparent frame
A dressmaker’s dummy
A bust
A forgotten mannequin torso making friends with a spare square of budget carpeting in the corner
Clothed in chipped paint and dust
My shoulders are uncontainable and genderless
They reject all efforts at tailoring
Fitting nowhere
I cut sleeves off
Roll hems
Pin seams
But still they resist
Stubbornness is inherent in the very make of me
The shape of me
The spread of my wings too big too big too big
I tuck them in
Fold them neck-wards
Diminish the un-suckled breasts in the same movement
A posture of shrinking
Down down down
Ever inwards
The better to think about what I’ve done
What have you done now?
Always wrong
Never inside the lines
Always leaking, bleeding, bursting, stretching
Messy messy messy
Dirty and filthy and out of bounds
Writing students make me cry
Neurodiversity mouth wants to shout as loud as they do
But instead I pour sugar into every word
So sweet it will hurt their teeth
Perhaps they will write from a fairy-flossed daze next time
And save me the trouble 
Face-painting
The sticky-cold-clammy sweep of black along the eyelid
Cuddling the top lashes
Just close enough
The sharp-smooth-paradox sketch of red against the lip
Marking territory
Here, here is where the power lives
And the damp-clinging-catching comb of sooty pigment on the lashes
Cementing intention
Yes, yes, yes we are playing along today
We are ready for the follow-spot and the applause and the sore arches

      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.