Sunday 15 June 2014

He asked

Justin Townes Earle is on my turntable
He asked me where I go when I'm blue
I go to my rocking chair and knit
Chew my lip and sing along to records
Until the hurting is through
Justin Townes Earle is singing to me
He asked me where I go when I'm lonesome
I go out dancing in my mary janes
Jive away my worries and get kissed
On the neck by somebody handsome
Justin Townes Earle is smiling to me
He looks so slick and gentle
Black and white and moody
He reminds me of a man I knew
Long ago in another life
A man who taught me how to be still
When my mind is raging
A man who drank Irish breakfast tea
And cleaned my first tattoo
So tenderly
A man who carried me to bed
Made my bones crack
A man who loved my skin
So pale even the slightest touch
Of rope or whip
Would leave a gorgeous mess
Upon porcelain threaded with sapphire
He called me a blue blood
And forgot himself
We broke the bed and giggled
Child like in the dead of night
A man who left me
For China and a path of study
Left me marked and sated
A man who left me grateful
For Justin Townes Earle
And sweet remembrance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.