Sunday 15 June 2014

Princess

Please don't call me princess
I was always princess to him
I do not wish to write his name
I remember well enough
Those cold eyes
Those clammy hands
Cheap tobacco on his breath
Cheap camera in his grasp
And me on his lap
The seven year old princess
Scrawny
Auburn ringlets
Earnest eyes of emerald
So very trusting
So very proud of our secret
Saved by puberty
The princess became undesirable
Too womanly for his tastes
But I remember well enough
Those fervent stares
Those desperate whispers
Cheap perfume bought my silence
Cheap words twisted my heart
And I have forgiven
The thirty year old woman
Muscular
Auburn waves
Emotive eyes of emerald
So very wary
So very hard to handle
Saved by love
The tough girl became open again
Too wretched to continue hiding
But I remember well enough
So please
Don't call me princess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.